Monday, May 3, 2010

Road Tripping!

We did something CRAZY for Spring Break. We loaded our six kids in the car and made a 14 hour trip to Virginia. Ahhhhhh, Virigina! I love it there. Great friends and great times. I need to stop going there in the Fall and the Spring when it is so beautiful. It makes me want to move.
Reese was asked to speak at SVU, the college we went to, so we got to stay in the guest house. I don't know that we would have all gone up if it hadn't been for that. A family of eight descending on a household, when they are not related, might be a bit too much to ask. Reese was able to teach a couple classes too. He's the BEST speaker! Truly, I love to hear him speak. He taught a Sunday School class the first time I ever saw him. I was so impressed. He's so captivating.
So, moving on......... I took off midweek for my parent's house. Yes, I braved an eight hour drive with six kids by myself. The kids did great! We just stopped once to feed ourselves and the babies. Reese wanted to come but I wouldn't wait for him. I wanted to be with my dad on his birthday, and it so happened that my brother's new baby was born the same day. I got to help watch his other two kids, Taden and Lily. It was NUTS but fun!
When the week was over Reese flew, and I drove, to Nashville so we could drive home together. So much fun! I wasn't ready to come home.
My dad and I took the kids to the park I grew up playing in. Much of it was unchanged.
Dad pushing the kids
We went to an indoor waterpark. My poor short kids. I sent them up the stairs to go down the big waterslides. They were SO excited. They came down crying. "We're too short," they said. So, I sent them over to the lazy river. They came back crying. "We're too short and they're making us wear a life jacket." My kids are awesome swimmers. We live in Florida for heaven's sake! I tried to see if there was some kind of swimming test they could pass so as to be able to do all the stuff they wanted. Nope. Well kids, maybe in ten years.
They still managed to have a FANTASTIC time.
Michael and Lily
We went through the house I lived in until I was five. It's being torn down to be turned into a driveway for doctor's office going up behind it. It was fun to take the kids there. It smelled the same, had the same curtains, and carpet. It was pretty much unchanged too. Nothing like some childhood nostalgia.
Meanwhile, Reese snuck away from the school and went camping with his best friend Correy. We all got to see Correy and his darling family. Man, I wish we lived closer to them.
The pic above is Reese with the "wild" ponies.
Reese and Correy

3 comments:

Kari Davis said...

OH I feel so bad your kids were too short. But there cuteness makes up for it! So glad you made the trip through Va. We'll try to head your way in the fall!

Megan and Vinny said...

wow... that looks like one awesome trip! your family is so darn cute and i love reading about them. it makes me miss you guys.

Sarah, Jordan, and Faye said...

i loved this post...i was hoping there'd be more LOL...good stuff...love it!